Saturday, October 4, 2014

How We Got Here

Bienvenido friends, family, and funky felines. Guy here for my first Barca Blog post. Gal likes to ramble (as you can see), so allow me to give you a little backstory on how we came to Barcelona. The two of us have been living together just outside Boston, MA for the past couple years. We've been pinching pennies while both working full(ish) time in anticipation for our trip. I just finished up school, which allowed us the freedom to book a trip and aimlessly wander the Barca beaches. This blog is a way to capture and share our adventure.

Boston to Barca (via London)

Virgin Atlantic is by far the best airline I've ever flown. First off they give you a toothbrush, toothpaste, sleep mask, ear plugs, pillow, blanket and socks. Leave it to the Brits to give you complimentary fuzzy socks. On top of that the food was fantastic (I had miso-glazed chicken with rice and veggies) and not just airline fantastic but actually really good. There is also a water fountain next to the bathroom, which I love because I always feel guilty pressing the attendant button every couple of minutes in order to get a sip of water (are water bottles that expensive?). And my 6th and 7th glass of wine continued to be complimentary. The kindly British accent also makes the flight attendants seem that much nicer than their American counterparts. I'm sure the attendant was genuinely happy when she came by and said, "Oh, you again."

We landed at Heathrow airport at 4:00 a.m. Boston time and unfortunately all the vino did not help me sleep on the plane. Fortunately, I have made it a point to have a regional beer in any country I visit and there were plenty of pubs in the airport. I had three hand-drawn pints of Lia Fail, a wonderfully light and hoppy Scottish Ale, that put me right to sleep. Two hours later we boarded for Barca and I slept soundly through the plane ride.

El Apartamento

It's small. By American standards it's very small. Pictures upcoming once we figure this blog thing out a bit more. It does have all the essentials bathroom, kitchen, table, and bed. We even have a second bedroom so I can escape the Gal, although both bedrooms are within arms reach. But who cares? I mean it's part of the experience, right? And it helps to have beach at the end of the street.  

No comments:

Post a Comment